One of the advantages of the cosy summer days is that the oils dry faster, so my previous oil painting is already dry enough to go on a wall, and the next oil is in progress. I was inspired by a misty scene I saw on the internet and decided to incorporate some of that mistiness and put a sky of similar colors above it. This is what I have so far – I intend to put a tree on the left when this layer had dried enough to paint over it rather than sinking into it.
I nearly made myself sick painting this layer though. I’ve only got one large brush that I was using for the background, so I was continually cleaning it as I worked through the color gradient. As I’m using odorless turpentine, I didn’t realize how much the fumes were building up in the studio – and indeed the whole house – as was about 108 outside and the A/C is on and the house isn’t very big. I was feeling queasy and developing a headache. Even after I’d taken out the turpy paper towels to the trash can, it was still an issue. Serendipity to the rescue again. I noticed there was a stiff, hot breeze blowing outside and I thought – there’s nothing for it – I need a different batch of air. Opened all the windows and doors for five minutes – the temperature was quickly up to 90 degrees inside (I usually keep it around 79) – but that hot air was fresh. The A/C quickly got everything back to 80 after I’d closed up – but I know I could not have done it without that breeze! The wind died down soon after too.
So, from a breezy phase to another quiet sky. I have not yet settled on a name for the painting – I usually don’t until they’re complete. More in a couple weeks when I can get the tree on.