I had an hour the other day and decided to put a few babies together. I thought I would start the first one by hunting down all the little pieces in the watercolor pieces box to see if anything would come together, and it did. I was inspired by the number of triangular pieces used which reminded me of sails, in order to name this collage. I was tempted to finish the bottom with a seascape, but thought that with the horizontal dark area on the left, there was a visual hint at this anyway, and the red patch above it reminded me of the sun coming down through clouds to sink below the horizon, so I decided not to elaborate further on those possibilities and just go with a tropical shoreline.
As I was on a roll now, I got another two foamcore/mat sets out and started rooting around for my next ‘starter’ piece of watercolor. I found two similar pieces, but together they were too big for the little ‘canvases’. That was when the idea hit. I would try to make two complementary collages using on each one pieces leftover from the same watercolor – but they would be different collages. It was an interesting challenge, but I had faith that I could produce such a pair. They’re not designed to be a diptych, but they should look good together with so many similar elements. It was the challenge here that gave them their names.