I’ve been plucking away at this larger refractured watercolor for so long that I decided to start taking pix. I should really have started with the watercolors that comprised it, but at the time I didn’t know that I was going to think about recording the development of the creature that has taken over the studio for so long. If you’ve never been in or seen the studio before – this is it for the work table – so you can see it’s pretty impossible to start working on something else once one of these has been started.
It’s been in the works for over a week. So much else going on and not been A1 physically in the last week. I painted this dawn five times in order to get enough ‘work’ to work with. It’s an odd sized board – upcycled from a sturdy panel that had a poster map stuck on it. I usually find a treasure or two when I go to Goodwill.
I recently discovered that the drafting table not only raises at the back, but also at the front, so I now have a much higher surface to work on. That really makes a difference to my back and has already paid for itself in avoiding trips to the chiropractor.
This panel is a little different in that it has a slight bevel on the edge, which actually works very well with the way the watercolor paper bends – or doesn’t want to bend. There were a total of 184 pieces – I think that’s the most pieces I’ve had in one refractured watercolor. I’ve created larger artworks, but they had larger pieces. I don’t really keep track too much though. OK, this is a far as I got yesterday. Should finish it and be able to show you early next week.