I had been very much looking forward to demonstrating refractured watercolors at Red Brick Gallery on the Sunday just past – but was disappointed that I only created one refractured watercolor and almost completed one collage. I looked at the work on the wall behind me and saw that I didn’t have any up that were created with circles.
So, I went with my usual next-step, what do I have that’s round, to make a template. The bottom of the acrylic spray was the answer, so I drew circles on the back, and set to cutting them out. Quite a few people were impressed that I was able to cut such neat circles freehand – of course they could only see the front of the painting, not the pencil marks on the back!
Sadly circle cutting takes a long time, hence only creating one painting, but here it is! In some ways it was good to have a the other two watercolors so I could show people an example start point, more difficult to envision when I was on the assembly stage and it’s less obvious I started with a whole painting, rather than a set of individually painted circles.